Wednesday, January 23, 2013

For aunt Olga..

I received news this evening that my mum's aunt Olga may be in her last days. She is 84 years old and quite sick in the hospital. I obviously knew this day would come, but now that it has I find myself quite unprepared. 

She doesn't live near me, and I haven't seen her in a few years at least. I tried to recall the last time I saw her and I'm quite sure it was almost 4 years ago. I had an opportunity to visit her in July of last year, but didn't. For that I feel incredible guilt. I thought I would have more time. Well to be honest I didn't really think at all. 

It may seem odd to feel so distraught over someone so distant. I mean, she's my mum's aunt, how close could we have been? The truth is we used to be quite close.

When I was a kid we lived about an hour and a half from Burns Lake, BC, where Olga and my grandparents lived (not together, just in the same small town). We'd visit my grandparents a lot and in the summer me and my cousins would spend a lot of time there (looking back it feels like weeks but I don't actually know to be honest). Olga was always around, she'd come over to their place for lunch or dinner and she always had little presents for us. Usually fancy little perfume bottles or some other trinket. We loved her, she was so much fun.

I remember watching her make sauerkraut one summer. It was quite disgusting actually, but fascinating. 

My first year going to Ootsa Lake Bible Camp I was excited but nervous and maybe even a bit scared. Right before going I was staying with my grandparents and I developed a large boil on my thigh. It was painful and horrible and I had to take antibiotics and clean it every day. I can't remember how old I was but definitely not old enough to be relied upon to do all that myself. Thankfully aunt Olga was the nurse at the camp that year, so she took care of me. And not just my leg. Whenever I felt uncomfortable (I was a socially awkward kid) I'd go find her and we'd sit in her medical room and just talk. It was so long ago but I'll never forget it.

I wish I had kept in touch with her throughout the years. She is such an incredible woman and I always meant to write to her and let her know how much she meant to me.

I hope she has family and friends with her right now, and I hope she is at peace. She will forever have a very special place in my heart. 

No comments: