So, I've been a parent for 9 months now (well in a couple days I will have been). That makes me an expert right? No? Well, surely at the very least it entitles me to an opinion. So here goes:
A friend recently posted a texting conversation where a new bride was thanking her wedding photographer and said something along the lines of "wow, those pictures were amazing, you must have a really great camera!" To which the photographer replied "no problem, you were really beautiful at the wedding, you must have had on really great makeup!"
I think this same concept applies to parenting. I have a really great kid, and I get comments all the time from friends and strangers alike telling me how calm and well behaved he is. He really is. He can sit through an entire meal in a restaurant and entertain himself (and others) without getting all crazy and emotional (I know fully grown adults who can't make the same claim). He has his moments, but for the most part he IS really well behaved.
That's great, but I also get comments that go something like "oh you're so lucky you got a good one, mine can't go five minutes without acting out." These ones I sometimes take offense to. No I didn't get a good one, I believe I made him this way. I'm not trying to say I'm the perfect parent, but I do believe we mold our offspring with our behaviour from very early on.
I think I'm generally a fairly reasonable person, and as a result I subconsciously expect the same from the people around me, including my child. I hear stories all the time about babies his age crying and whining when a parent leaves the room. Mine did that too, for a couple of days. He quickly learned that mummy will be back when mummy is finished whatever she is doing. Usually in a minute or two, no big deal.
Most of the things I've done different weren't conscious decisions. I didn't think "okay, I want him to sit still in restaurants and be happy in his stroller so I'm going to do this!" It just happened because I knew it could happen so I didn't settle for anything less. I didn't even think about it, I just expected more out of him.
I love cuddling and playing with my baby, but when I need to do something--be it use the washroom, get groceries, or have a conversation with a friend in a coffee shop--I expect him to behave, and he does. I made him this way, and I'm proud of it. I believe that how well behaved a child is has very little to do with genetics and even less to do with "luck."
That is all. For now.
P.S. I'll revisit this post when he's 2 or 3 if he hasn't eaten my computer by then and we'll see if I still feel the same way. For now though, I'm taking credit for my kid's awesomeness. No arguments.
No comments:
Post a Comment