Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sleep pattern success!

I'm so proud of my little boy. He's finally turned what seems like a permanent corner in his sleep pattern. Since about mid July he's consistently gone to bed between 7:30 and 8pm (unless we're in a situation where this hasn't been possible, out for dinner, etc.) without hesitation. There have been a few exceptions but I can't even remember the last one.

Around 7:30 (or a tad earlier if he's been grumpy) I tell him it's time to get ready for bed and we go into his room to put pajamas on. I give him a clean diaper if needed, put pajamas on him and then we go back out to the living room where he hangs out with daddy for a few minutes while I get his bottle ready. If he's in a good mood I sit him on the floor to "help" me put his toys away. Mostly I put them away while he watches and/or takes them all out again. If he's grumpy we skip right to the bottle. We say goodnight to daddy and I take him to his room, feed him his bottle and we cuddle for a minute or two. I then put him in his crib, turn on his musical seahorse and say goodnight. I turn the light off and leave, closing the door behind me. And that's it. He goes to sleep on his own, every night. Sometimes he talks to himself for a few minutes before falling asleep but he doesn't cry. Bed time has become non-negotiable and I love it! I don't know how long this will last but it's been going on for a while so I'll take that as a good sign for now!

Naps have also been getting better. Most of the time I can just lay him down in his crib, say goodnight and leave, and he goes to sleep on his own. We're not quite 100% in the nap department yet though, he still sometimes protests. Usually the morning nap goes well but the afternoon one has to be timed just right and the timing is a little harder to figure. If he's not quite tired enough or if he gets too tired he fights the nap.

Progress is being made though, and life is good!


No comments: